Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Project Runway Episode 11 - The Final Four

PROJECT RUNWAY SEASON 3 : EPISODE 11

I think that this challenge was one of the most higly anticipated of the three seasons of Project Runway. PR3 had obviously talented designers, all with a different style and aesthetic than the other.

We have Ulrike Herzner the very vibrant and in some ways spunky designer that LOVES HOT WEATHER and HALTERS! She made it thus far because of her ability to give you a perspective that no other designer touched with prints and colors that really represented the woman who was HOT, FUN & FLIRTY! But the question is can she go away from the prints or is she stuck on the colors and prints?


Then we have Laura Bennett! Can we talk about utter class and sophistication! She gave the runway some needed LUXURY that many of the other designers did not give as consistently as she did. Laura is Pregnant and is still fitting into her little black dresses and her 4 inch Jimmy Choo's! We have seen elegance and sophistication from her challenge after challenge. The question that everyone has on their tongues is can Laura give Elegance and Sophistication with a different Silhouette and a little more youthful?


Next we have Jeffrey Sebelia! I must say a great designer and a definite contender for the Title of Season 3 WINNER! He has edge, funkiness and this overall "I don't give a flyin flip what you want me to do...I am gonna do what I want to do!" And honestly you really can't hate him for it. I love how he refuses to conform to the rules of Project Runway and he continually does his own thing and could care less about what anyone thinks of his personality or his design aesthetic! He designs for the woman with edge, a contemporary attitude and a personality all her own! The question for Jeffrey is can he give a refined elegant look as well?


Rounding up the Final Four we have Michael Knight! Michael was in the very beginning the LONG SHOT! Tim definitely was not willing to take a chance on his design aesthetic and if it wasn't for Chloe Dao (Season Two Winner) Michael might not have even been granted the chance to be on the show! Which would have been a SHAME, because he has won 2 challenges and CONSISTENTLY brought a chic and current look that every designer on the runway envied! Considered to be along the lines of a Daniel Vosovic or Kara Saun of this season having won challenges and being in the TOP more than any other designer
MY TAKE ON THIS EPISODE...
Uli…What the hell? Sometimes I sit in front of my television drinking Red Zin and I ask myself….I say…"Self am I watching the same show that these judges are judging?" Because I did not think that Uli’s garment was the best out of that bunch! It was nice, but not the winner. I thought it was still a print as every other dress she has done has been (outside of the couture challenge and the first challenge), it was still halter with the exception of the high neck that she did and it was a short dress which she did last week in the black and white challenge. So when the judges said it was new and an innovative look from Uli I felt that was inaccurate because it was the same dress that I have been seeing for weeks upon weeks from her. Also did you check the shade on Miss Ulrike, stealing Michael’s model Nazri, and leaving the one who was with her from almost the beginning out to dry. I do NOT think she deserved a chance to show at Bryant Park, and I do not think she deserved to win this past challenge. Oh, and so help me God if I see a bunch of plunging necklines, halters, prints, backless, tube dresses…I’ll just fall out! But CONGRATS Uli on making it into the Final Four!

I thought Jeffrey’s take on Romance might have been touching the hem of being very literal. I say that because when you think of romance you get the mindset of Shakespearean romance…and I got a real medieval vibe from his garment. The blue velvet, the satin belt, the romantic white milk maid skirt J all was very quintessential to how one would view romance. It also makes me laugh at how the designers who have given this ‘Kiss my Grits’ attitude try to give what they consider beautiful garments but it always backfires on them (i.e. Santino from Season 2 in his Final Runway Show at Bryant Park). Jeffrey said to Tim that “I did something like this design before and it almost made people cry, it was so beautiful…”, so my expectation for the garment was definitely set high because I saw what he was constructing in the beginning and I thought it was looking good. However, when I saw Marilinda put that dress on I wasn’t completely upset…I saw the romance he was going for, it just was not fully realized the way I would have hoped or I believe he would have hoped for either. He definitely needed that extra 5 hours, because He was ‘Giving it to that skirt with the Glue Gun…OKKAAY!!! LOL! Consequently, if I had to choose a top 3 to show at Bryant Park I would have Jeffrey in the mix. He gives some needed diversity with his edgy, risky and dramatic designs. I just hope he stops it with the empire dresses he has done enough of them, Congrats Jeffrey on making it to the Final Four!


GLAMOUR HONEY…GLAMOUR!!!! Laura Bennett is the sophisticated mother of the runway! WERQ MOTHA WERQ! LOL! I preface my statements by saying that I LOVE LAURA, however, what is she thinking??? I mean I love the designs Laura comes up with, but I can not help but feel that she is indeed a ONE-NOTE! I swear I have seen her wear that dress before. I haven't seen diversity in her designs to date. Lace, High Waist, Beading, Sparkles and Feathers….Laura give me something new! I think that she truly knows what she can do and what she can do well, and she doesn’t fight that, but I want to see a different side of Laura. I love the Glamour, I love the assertive woman that she conveys and I love the touch of sparkle but can she give that while giving (if nothing less) a different silhouette? I think that for purposes of construction and tailoring Laura has got it! Yet, when it comes to originality, new ideas and the ability to give many different looks she loses. If I had to pick a Top 3 for this competition I would have Laura in there, but I would strongly advise her to think outside of the box…do something that is totally unexpected and change the way that the judges view you! But still I send my CONGRATULATIONS TO LAURA for making it into the Final Four!

Rounding up the Final Four, we have Michael Knight! I just LOVE this guy’s design style! He has been the MOST consistent out of the bunch, and he has been at the TOP of the Bunch more than any other designer in the entire competition! This last challenge was great, and I actually liked Michael’s design the best! I thought that his top was a little seductive, but I think that is what he was going for and thought it was a great! I LOVED THE WEAVING at waist and hip, I loved the fit and I thought the design as a whole was really nice. HOWEVER, I think that he is no evening wear designer, and I also agree with Michael Kors when he said that essentially Michael Knight is a Sportswear designer. I think he would have done better if he would have done something not so out of the box (which is strange because most of the other designer needed to stretch their box). I think that he gave so much diversity throughout the season that he really didn’t have to give something so extreme. I think that when it comes to talent, diversity in design, construction ability and taste level Michael Knight is definitely the most talented designer on the runway this season! Yet, I worry because those who I have thought were the best for the previous seasons have not won and in some cases have not even made it to Fashion week (i.e. Nick Verreos, Kara Saun & Kevin John). So I worry about him getting his WELL DESERVED WIN, but I also think that regardless of whether he wins the competition or loses he will excel! Also, winning is not always the best thing…I mean look at Jay and Chloe they are both doing well, but let’s face it some of the losers are doing better!!! So I ENTHUSIASTICALLY Congratulate Michael on making it to the Top 4 and if I had to pick a winner it would definitely be him!




For More information on Savant Noir hit me up on Myspace www.myspace.com/savant_noir

CIAO!
Dennis

No comments: